Saturday 9 February 2013

PJ Harvey - Duchess Of York,Leeds, UK - 04.04.1992 (Flac)



Lineage: Bootleg Tape (Low Generation) -> M-Audio Quattro Soundboard -> Audacity -> TLH -> FLAC (Level 8)


Notes:

Bootleg tape bought around the time of the broadcast, so very low generation for sure. Sound is good for it's age, there's some tape hiss, I tryed to remove it, but the result sounded weird, so I left it as it came out of the tape.

The recording starts very low, it almost seems that Polly's voice and the guitar are not coming from the the PA, it's not the recording level because you can hear the audience higher than her, but gradually it goes louder during the first song. This also happen with the other 1992 recording I'm sharing, so probably it's the standard start of the concerts for that tour.

I included a scan of the bootleg tape cover and a photo of the tape on the torrent. The tape included some more demos and sessions on the B-side, but those have been officially released.

Huge Thanks to JH for sending me the tape to transfer and share, all the way from Australia!

Here's some memories about this concert that JH was kind enough to send me to complete this post:

I bought the tapes from a Bootleg trader at a record fair in Bradfords Wool Exchange shortly after the Bradford Gig. At the time i didn't really listen to Bootlegs, but when i saw these on sale thought I would get them as a document of the gigs. In particular, the Leeds gig as i felt that I had experienced something really special.

The Leeds show took place on the first Saturday following the release of the 'Dry' album. I remember the music press gave it a lot of praise at the time so I think the gig was the culmination of a momentous week for the band. The venue was packed, which was a surprise to me as I didnt think she was that well know even amongst indie/alternative crowds.
The band came on and there seemed to be an incredible release of energy from them and the crowd. What struck me was how this young petite woman could rock, fantastic heavy riffs, intense vocals and an incredible stage presence.

It was also one of the few shows I arrived at really early, so I had time to have a couple of drinks in the Duchess of York before they temporarily closed it and we had to re-enter as paying concert goers. My girlfriend and sister were with me and we sat at a table near to the entrance. Whilst we were sat there, Polly and the band walked in and stood near to us, talking beneath the TV which had MTV showing, not long after an item came on MTV about the band. Clearly, they had had some notice they were going to be featured and wanted to check out how it came out. I toyed with the idea of going over and congratulating them on the album but I didnt want to intrude and decided against it (much to my regret now). The item on MTV finished and they left through the pub to go backstage.



Tracklist:

01. Rid Of me
02. O Stella
03. Dress
04. Highway 61 Revisited (Bob Dylan Cover)
05. Dry
06. Hair
07. Joe
08. Sheela-na-Gig
09. Victory
10. Man Sized
11. Me, Jane
12. Rub 'Til It Bleeds
13. Water

DO NOT SELL!!!
For sharing and trading porpuses only!
Support PJ Harvey by going to the concerts and buying official products.
Enjoy!


On The TV

No comments:

Post a Comment